The development of the Ashburton North Strategic Industrial Area, which will centre on the processing of LNG from offshore gas reserves, is set to have a significant impact on the town of Onslow and will provide the drive for a vibrant and sustainable future.
Significant financial commitments from Chevron, BHP Billiton and the Western Australian Government are going towards ensuring Onslow develops into an attractive and well-serviced town.
These contributions will deliver long term benefits to the Onslow community and help cater for the town’s expected growth.
New and upgraded infrastructure and services will include:
- a new power station
- a new desalination plant and upgraded water supply infrastructure
- a new Shire of Ashburton administration centre that will include a town hall, council chamber, visitor centre and library
- a new waste management facility and an upgraded wastewater facility
- the construction of a new Onslow hospital, which will better meet the town’s increasing health service needs
- upgrades to Onslow Road, the main road into Onslow
- a new Onslow airport, including runway, terminal and general landside facilities
- new recreational facilities, including an outdoor basketball complex, skate park and swimming pool